Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay
Have you heard the story about Forgetful Fred? Maybe you have had problem employees like Forgetful Fred. If you’ve been in business for a while, the chances are good that you have at some point.
He kept forgetting to come to work on time. Then, he kept forgetting to call the customers when promised.
He kept forgetting to update the WorkFlow Board. Then, he kept forgetting to deposit his check each week.
He kept forgetting to GO FOR NO with each customer.
Go For No Questions For Problem Employees
In our GO FOR NO workshops, we detail how to deal directly with the Forgetful Freds working within our team. If you’re not already signed up for the training offered by You Net Results, we will discuss this topic at length.
For a minute, we invite you to pay attention to the various things that could be affecting Forgetful Fred’s behavior. Ask yourself — or go directly to the Forgetful Freds in your life and ask them — the following questions:
- Is there something going on at home that is affecting performance?
- Are they getting enough sleep?
- Is there an underlying health issue that we may or may not know about?
- Is this person usually eager and motivated?
- Does this person show signs of a stroke, dementia, or heart issues?
- Is this person mourning the loss of something?
- Are you providing a supportive and safe work environment for this individual?
- Could this person be getting bullied or abused at work or elsewhere?
Problem Employees? Check Your SOPs!
After you have ruled out all of the above, the next step is to check your Standard Operating Procedures and ask the following questions:
- Has this person been trained over a long enough time?
- Are all the SOPs written out or recorded on video so they can actually “see” the different steps to success and corresponding checklists?
- Are both the processes and procedures clear, or are they confusing?
- Has anyone else tested out the SOPs to make sure they are current, as well as accurate?
- Is there a communication issue that could be causing all of these issues?
- Is it clear who the problem employee reports to, and what their complete job duties entail?
- Have you communicated so that this person truly understands what to do?
- Or, are you accidentally expecting this individual to read your mind and assume they know what you know?
Look, these questions may sound silly, but we ask them for this reason:
We don’t ever hire dumb people, do we? No, we don’t. However, when we hire talented and bright individuals to fill a role within our team, our lack of clear processes and systems can force them to fail, falter, or forget.
Once you have resolved your system’s issue, the chances are excellent that problem employees like Forgetful Fred will lose their negative nicknames. You might soon have a Faithful Fred, Kickass Kathy, or Superhero Steve.
Take the NO Fear Journey with Brian Gillis
At You Net Results, we facilitate coaching groups for auto repair shop owners. Together, we can all reach a turnaround point. You can emerge from this experience moving from a business owner to a confident business leader. Thus, you will eliminate the things that hold you back.
Are you ready? Let’s do this.
To find out more, contact us for a complimentary consultation. Brian Gillis will discuss your business strategies and find ways to improve your annual revenue and company culture.